Feeling a little puny this morning so it’s nothing but sparkling water. Took a hot shower, wrapped up in my fluffiest robe, and enjoying the quiet in the neighborhood. The east side of my house is so bright and awake in the mornings. I love it.
Things I’m Enjoying:
- I’m so late to the game with On Being (formerly Speaking of Faith), but I have to say something about it because it’s is one of the best things I’ve heard in a long time. So far I have listened to several episodes, seeking out the ones featuring interviews with people I respect and admire (Mary Oliver, Elizabeth Alexander, the Indigo Girls, Brené Brown) and listening to some featuring people I’ve never heard of, talking about things I don’t know anything about (dark matter). Every single episode has given me something to think about. And more often than not, several things. I love that Krista Tippett is originally from Oklahoma. I love that back in April, Jolene and I were wandering around the neighborhood in Minneapolis where Krista records this wonderful show and I had no idea. Just listen.
- 3 Metaphysical Concepts For Writers
- How Jane Vonnegut Made Kurt Vonnegut A Writer: Kurt and Jane were a nation of two. “The world is divided into two groups: us, and the other people,” he told her. “We’ll win against any combination of powers.” Once married, the pair began figuring out how to run that nation, which was to be, they decided, a nation of love, arts, common decency, and peace. Jane drafted a household constitution: “We cannot and will not live in and be hogtied by a society which not only has not faith in the things we have faith in, but which reviles and damns that faith with practically every breath it draws.”
Kurt was more pragmatic, casting about for career ideas—teaching, reporting, opening a library with a bar. Jane had just one idea, and she pressed it with patient determination. Kurt would be a writer—a great one.
- Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup – I’ve been craving this for about a week and I’m going to make it today.
- 23 Ways to “Treat Yo’ Self” Without Buying Or Eating Anything
- I’m doing that writing competition thing again. My first entry will be up by tomorrow evening.
- The Fluidity Between Who You Love and What You Love
- The 14 Day Yoga Body Challenge from DoYouYoga. It’s free this month.
- Also, Darebee.com for at home workouts.
- “Hello”…yeah, that’s fine, but my favorite is “When We Were Young”