*cough* A little too much pumpkin pie spice in the coffee this morning. I’ll soldier on. The morning is chilly and it’s officially fall. Mom and I are heading out to the final day of An Affair of the Heart a little later. It’s going to be a good day.
Things I’m Enjoying
- Chicken Liver Pâté — I made this. Haven’t had pâté in years and I’d never made it before. The flavors were very bold, but I made some balsamic onions to go along with them and that pairing turned out very nicely.
- I also made this Oxtail Soup with Red Wine and Root Vegetables. Very good.
- In praise of the ‘quiet book’
- Today on CBS Sunday Morning there was a piece on Jack the Ripper. Want to go on a tour, Jolene?
- Will They or Won’t They?: The not-quite-romance of Eudora Welty and Ross MacDonald
The letters remove Macdonald and Welty from the realm of abstraction, the stuff of stamps and textbooks, and present them as people you’d like to have at a dinner party: bright, funny, warm, and full of silliness. Reading the correspondence between Millar and Welty, you almost begin thinking of them as your friends—friends who should get together, already. And if they did, who knows? The letters may be littered with clues. After all, both writers enjoyed a good mystery.
- It’s a pity. I misread the dates. This dollhouse exhibit at the V&A is already over.
- 11 Ways to Love Goodreads Even More
- In case you missed it — the Gilmore Girls are returning. I mean…is this real life? And while I’m excited, there are a few things I need to be sure about before jumping into this.
Do the Palladinos have an email address? I need to confirm that Christopher was eaten by wolves and can’t be in the new shows.
— Eagles Greatest Hits (@RandBallsStu) October 19, 2015
I’ll leave you with this.
(That phone scene. Now I need Peggy and Stan fanvids.)