- Had a good weekend at home with my parents and grandparents. I drove down for church with all of them, had lunch, and then spent the afternoon in the country.
- Mom and I went blackberry picking. On our way to find some bushes that had berries on them at Granny and Paw Paw’s house, we encountered some grasshoppers. Typical Oklahoma summer. I am the one that’s freaking out. You have one hit you in the face and see what you do!
- We made it out with about a gallon of blackberries. Mom sent all of them home with me and most of them are in the freezer waiting to be turned into a delicious cobbler at some point in the future. We were just a few days early for the blackberries at Granny’s house. There were lots of red and green ones on the vine, so I’ll head down later this week to pick more with Mom.
- Already enjoyed some fresh blackberries with homemade whipped cream. Yum.
- After the blackberry picking, I rode around in the truck with Paw Paw and looked at cattle and farm equipment. We fed some of the cows, looked at new calves, and he humored me and stopped to let me take photos when I asked 🙂 I’ll share some of those later this week or next.
- I like this song. Can’t help it. Doesn’t it make you want to dance around?
- I’ve found a lot of new music that I’m enjoying. So, there may be a few new “Listening Lately”s coming up.
- The writing is going slowly right now, but good. I’m doing a lot of research currently and that’s taking up quite a bit of time.
- Happy 51st birthday to my dad tomorrow!
I spent Saturday with my mom, one of my favorite things to do. On a typical Saturday when she comes up to visit we head over to the local farmers’ market. This past weekend was our first trip of the season and it was a lovely, warm day. Well, kinda hot. I’m not acclimated to the warmer temps yet (it always takes me a while) so it was a little bit uncomfortable for me.
Mom bought a few gallons of plants and I hauled them around the market for her, but didn’t buy any for myself this time. Before I buy anything else I am going to try to get my other flower bed cleaned out and ready for plants. I was inspired this weekend to plant a bed exclusively full of plants native to Oklahoma. There’s a stand at the market that sells only natives and beneficials and it’s been something I’ve wanted to try for a long time anyway. I’ll post updates here and try to get you a few before and after photos. And maybe some in the middle ones, though I tend to forget those.
The master garden was in full bloom this weekend and their butterfly beds were attracting all kinds of pollinators. This year in my own beds I have tried to plant things to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. So far I have only seen one hummingbird at my feeder, but it’s one more than I have had in the 7 years I’ve lived in this house 🙂 Such a change from my parents’ house, where hummingbirds tend to swarm.
We did a little shopping on Saturday as well and I found some cute dresses for summer. It’s so nice to be wearing light, bright clothing again.
My hair has gotten really, really long. Longer than it’s been at any other point in my life. About once every two weeks or so I toy with the idea of cutting it off somewhere around shoulder length, but then I realize how much I love it. When I’m sitting the ends touch my waistband in the back. I can twist it up, pull it back, pull it half up, curl it, straighten it (I never do that, but hey, options). So I think I’ll let it go. I have started pulling out the grays and according to my mom I’m going to have two grow back for every one that I pull out, so I should be easy to spot in a crowd soon.